Friday, July 22, 2011

Summer read

Summer reading: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. Immediate Boomer comment: the main author - Mary Ann "worked as an editor, librarian and in bookstores". According to a biography her life long desire was to have a book of her own published. Unfortunately she became ill and died before its publication. This book is both her debut and swan song.

SO - Boomers BEWARE! We don't have forever, so figure out what you really want to do...and do it now. Our "in the futures" are running out of time. It is the time to act on our dreams and wanna-do-its!

Back to the book, A few years ago, while living on the Gulf of Mexico, I belonged to a writing group. Each week one of our members wrote and re wrote and re wrote again various chapters of her "future" book. The format was developing a plot line, characters and a mystery all in a series of various letters. She was so earnest as we listened to her read aloud the variations of each letter each week. I found it excrutiating and often noticed I was either gritting my teeth or gripping onto the seat of my chair in frustration. So, when I joined a book club last month, one can imagine the joy I felt upon beginning to read Guernsey Literary. It too was written in letters from the main character to others.

Fortunately the team of Shaffer and her neice Ann Barrows were much more clever with this format. It actually turned out to be a rather pleasant Summer Read, all taking place on the little island chain of Guernsey right off the coast of France during WW2. Naturally being a Boomer American with little world travel experience, I had very little idea of where these islands even were. My last geography class was in 7th grade with little knowledge picked up through my later years.

The book is charming with just a few bits of war horror tossed in to add a dash of reality. Surprisingly the novel in the form of letters seems to have worked here. A great read, not too heavy but a very personal look at the class driven citizens living under German occupation.

Ta...Ta... I must go for now and write the Great American novel before I did. Any suggestions? I did actually make it to the seminal event of my youth Woodstock. I think that story has already been told and told. Perhaps one more time before I die.



Fo

No comments: