Wednesday, June 20, 2012

THREE suitcases!

Flying off to Calgary with Chelcie Dog

This will be my first flight with her.  But what an expense!  Not so much the $100 fee for the joy of stashing the dog under the seat -- but all the rest~especially since flying from Oregon to Calgary is now considered an International Flight.  (Yes I know it is a different country--but still it is far less miles than flying back to Atlanta).  I'm having trouble teaching her to bark Canadian but there is still time/hope.

So far:  Chelcie expenses:  $55 for a specialized Pooch Carrier medium size.  The specified brand is Sherpa.  Unfortunately not readily available in the size medium I needed locally.  Instructions were to leave it out for the dog to get used to it.  That worked until I tripped over it in my tiny apt one night @ 3am. I've been jamming "stuff for the dog" into it for a month or so.  NOW there is little room for the dog.  I can't even imagine the horror it will be to get the pack thru Security and Customs.

Shots and stuff - I needed a new rabies certificate altho she was up to date.  So in February I discovered a $5 rabies shot special @ a local Feed and Grain Store.  (Actually, having a reason to go to something as exotic as a Feed & Grain store was equally compelling.)

International Health Certificate:  I'm not sure I got this one right.  After spending $141 at the vet for a mandatory physical exam, kennel cough shot and something else shot wise - I drove out to the airport to see if the form they gave me was correct.  Turns out it is only good for North America.  After a brief geography discussion with Alaska Airlines, it appears that Canada is currently considered part of North America - so the State Certificate will do.  I was warned, however that if we were flying to - oh say - Bolivia or Singapore - I would have to get a specialized ( read more:  expensive, Pain in the butt, etc) form of the US federal govt.

Side expenses:  Despite the 100 bucks extra fee, Chelcie counts as my one carry on.  Therefore all my luggage except my purse will have to be checked and paid as extras.  Alaska Airline charges $20 per suitcase for the first 3.

 Given the Uncle Bill/Gail road trip will last almost a month and incorporate a wide variety of locations - from the wilds of Canadian Rockies, to a Glacier drive by and several cities - I need lots of clothes.  The concept of stopping along the roadside to wash clothing in a frigid mtn stream is fairly abhorrent. So, it is three suitcases!

Back to packing and perhaps straightening up my miniature apt. Eh?!? 


No comments: