Saturday, August 18, 2012

I have lived in quite a few cities here in the USA. And in each one I spent various amounts of time haunting the public library. It is a sure sign of the legacy of my youth.

In my own public school was a public library – open to all and including the summer months! By the time I was 10 my mother allowed me to take the bus to our town’s main public library. Torn down many years ago, it still remains as a wonderland of ideas, voices of writers and poets and most of all – a place to escape from my every day life.
I’ve enjoyed every library I’ve ever been to including studying in the main room of the Library of Congress during one college year spent in Washington, D.C. But here I am living out the burning embers of my life in the Big Tree land of the Pacific Northwest. And I’ve been gifted with a wonderful library in the city of Eugene, Oregon.

In honor of this marvelous library, let me share with you recent books I’ve read or in some cases listened to on CD version. I belong to a strange book club haunted by a small group of aging female baby boomers with somewhat even stranger reasons for why we choose a particular book to read each month. But more about the CD book versions and my beloved but strange book club in a later blog.
                  Pics of library to follow”

Current book: Truth Like the Sun by Jim Lynch ISBN # 978-0-307-95868-6
Published 2012, Alfred A Knopf division of Random House.

One sentence synopsis: Fictionalized account of a politico wizard set simultaneously in his young year as a mover and shaker to the Seattle World Fair of 1962 and 40 years later, October 2011 as he runs for mayor.

Book was bought for the library under a new wonderful program called LUCCKY DAY. And more about that later also!

1 comment:

janel said...

hey there! i'm a died-in-the-wool reader myself--one of my most favorite pasttimes! hope you are well and yes, i've written a short blog about the topic you suggested to me: how to clean makeup brushes! it should post tomorrow at 3 am EST (yeah, i know...early, but i have some readers in london and it's almost midday there at that time!) hope you come to visit and read the post--i'm checking in on you from time to time also. blessings!