Wednesday, May 29, 2013

the Beachgods are coming I must be insane. That is the conclusion I came to about 15 minutes ago. The source of this conclusion? My decision to open an Etsy shop. My thinking process was, "I have a lot of really neat stuff. Stuff my mother collected for years.And now I have it. And I know my daughter is not going to want to haul all this great stuff around the country as I have been doing for over 10 years now. And I have a lot of my own stuff that (sigh...) certainly meets the Etsy qualification for "vintage" rating. Their definition is anything over 20 years old. Thinking of "vintage" equals 20 years. Oh my, I am (let's do the math) 3 x 20 = my age plus. yikes. That does it. I am now both old and insane. Great combination. Meanwhile, despite the MBA and lots of years working in commercial finance, I knew I had to get a game plan. So I promptly began reading "A step by step Guide to Successful Sales on Etsy and Beyond" by Derrick Sutton. Unfortunately I managed to spill a strawberry milkshake on it halfway through the read. Quite a few of the pages have clumped together - particularly @ the end. Probably not a good omen. But I have a new camera, a new laptop - my 3rd one from Dell - and even the oh so sexy little Google tablet. My 'laptop' is monster sized + 17 inch extravagamt screen and with a real keyboard. Of course that does mean that II am truly struggling with Windows 8. It is painful and not the user friendly OS it's been hyped to be. So far I have bought two book/magazines on "shortcuts". I spend a horrendous amount of time trying to figure out why suddenly I am in another program. Perhaps Windows 8 would be a bit easier to work if I didn't feel I needed a mouse...but I am so attached to that rodent I couldn't say goodbye. Since my huge tablet doesn't exactly fit in anything but an overnite suitcase and weighs enough that dragging it from my bedroom to the dining room table counts as portable I don't take it outside of my house. My dear daughter has gone over to the dark side as so many of her generation has. The dark side being an Apple convert. Perhaps my ever so cool Apple II-E of the late 70's (early 80's?) got into her DNA. Nevertheless, she is small help being a mere 10 hour drive away. so I continue to struggle. As a consequence of the too big "laptop" I also invested in the Google tablet. It seems like such a rational alternative to Kindle or Book Nook or the too expensive Apple. Unfortunately it is totally a different operating system - Android. I'm well aware that Android is beloved amongst many - but for me it is just one more thing to learn. Tablets are not built for women with long fingernails, I might stress. I have visions that one day I will have this whole etsy shop as well as my beachgods.com site up and running and easy to catch while being out and about. More later.... the BEACHGODS are coming...

No comments: